Job and Jesus


Job and Jesus



Both were described as the most upright and blameless man on earth.

·         Job 1:8 8 And the Lord said to Satan, “Have you considered my servant Job, that there is none like him on the earth, a blameless and upright man, who fears God and turns away from evil?”

·         2 Corinthians 5:21 21 For our sake he made him to be sin who knew no sin, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.

Both knew that God was sovereign over their pain and agony.

·         Job 1:21 21 And he said, “Naked I came from my mother's womb, and naked shall I return. The Lord gave, and the Lord has taken away; blessed be the name of the Lord.”

·         Romans 8:28 28 And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose.



Both were physically marred and scarred through their suffering

·         Job 2:12 12 And when they saw him from a distance, they did not recognize him. And they raised their voices and wept, and they tore their robes and sprinkled dust on their heads toward heaven.

·         Isaiah 52:14 14 As many were astonished at you— his appearance was so marred, beyond human semblance, and his form beyond that of the children of mankind—



Both were taunted during their most vulnerable moment

·         Job 5:1 5 “Call now; is there anyone who will answer you? To which of the holy ones will you turn?

·         Matthew 27:40-43 40 and saying, “You who would destroy the temple and rebuild it in three days, save yourself! If you are the Son of God, come down from the cross.” 41 So also the chief priests, with the scribes and elders, mocked him, saying, 42 “He saved others; he cannot save himself. He is the King of Israel; let him come down now from the cross, and we will believe in him. 43 He trusts in God; let God deliver him now, if he desires him. For he said, ‘I am the Son of God.’”God; let God deliver him now, if he desires him. For he said, ‘I am the Son of God.


Both sufferings are described in a similar manner

·         Job 16:10 10 Men have gaped at me with their mouth; they have struck me insolently on the cheek; they mass themselves together against me.

·         Psalm 22:13 13 they open wide their mouths at me, like a ravening and roaring lion.




Job cried for his blood not to cover this world while Christ’s blood covered the world.

·         Job 16:18 18 “O earth, cover not my blood, and let my cry find no resting place.

·         Acts 20:28 28 Pay careful attention to yourselves and to all the flock, in which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers, to care for the church of God, which he obtained with his own blood.


Job thought God was his enemy while Christ was viewed as God’s enemy on the cross.
·         Job 13:24 24 Why do you hide your face and count me as your enemy?

·         Isaiah 53:12 12 Therefore I will divide him a portion with the many, and he shall divide the spoil with the strong, because he poured out his soul to death and was numbered with the transgressors; yet he bore the sin of many, and makes intercession for the transgressors

Both felt abandoned by their friends and God
·         Job 30:20 20 I cry to you for help and you do not answer me; I stand, and you only look at me?

·         Psalm 22:1 22 My God, my God, why have you forsaken me? Why are you so far from saving me, from the words of my groaning?


Both their trials were influenced by Satan
·         Job 1:8-11 8 And the Lord said to Satan, “Have you considered my servant Job, that there is none like him on the earth, a blameless and upright man, who fears God and turns away from evil?” 9 Then Satan answered the Lord and said, “Does Job fear God for no reason? 10 Have you not put a hedge around him and his house and all that he has, on every side? You have blessed the work of his hands, and his possessions have increased in the land. 11 But stretch out your hand and touch all that he has, and he will curse you to your face.”

·         John 13:27 27 Then after he had taken the morsel, Satan entered into him. Jesus said to him, “What you are going to do, do quickly

Both were falsely accused
·         Job 22:6-9 6 For you have exacted pledges of your brothers for nothing and stripped the naked of their clothing. 7 You have given no water to the weary to drink, and you have withheld bread from the hungry. 8 The man with power possessed the land, and the favored man lived in it. 9 You have sent widows away empty, and the arms of the fatherless were crushed.

·         Luke 23:2-3 2 And they began to accuse him, saying, “We found this man misleading our nation and forbidding us to give tribute to Caesar, and saying that he himself is Christ, a king.” 3 And Pilate asked him, “Are you the King of the Jews?” And he answered him, “You have said so.”

Both served as intercessors
·         Job 42:7-10 7 After the Lord had spoken these words to Job, the Lord said to Eliphaz the Temanite: “My anger burns against you and against your two friends, for you have not spoken of me what is right, as my servant Job has. 8 Now therefore take seven bulls and seven rams and go to my servant Job and offer up a burnt offering for yourselves. And my servant Job shall pray for you, for I will accept his prayer not to deal with you according to your folly. For you have not spoken of me what is right, as my servant Job has.” 9 So Eliphaz the Temanite and Bildad the Shuhite and Zophar the Naamathite went and did what the Lord had told them, and the Lord accepted Job's prayer. 10 And the Lord restored the fortunes of Job, when he had prayed for his friends. And the Lord gave Job twice as much as he had before.
·        
    Hebrews 7:25 25 Consequently, he is able to save to the uttermost those who draw near to God through him, since he always lives to make intercession for them.

God did not hide his face from both men
·         Job 23:17 17 yet I am not silenced because of the darkness, nor because thick darkness covers my face.

·         Romans 8:32 32 He who did not spare his own Son but gave him up for us all, how will he not also with him graciously give us all things?

Both are associated with the Number 77

·         In Job 38-42, God asks Job exactly 77 questions that pertain to His Sovereignty.

·         In Matthew 18:21-22 (77 is the context of forgiveness) 21 Then Peter came up and said to him, “Lord, how often will my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? As many as seven times?” 22 Jesus said to him, “I do not say to you seven times, but seventy-seven times.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ezekiel 38-39 has been fulfilled in the book of Esther-Quick Reference

13 Reasons Why a Spiritual Resurrection in 70 AD Should Be Considered Over a Physical Resurrection

From Grave to Glory (G2G)-A Preterist Postmillennial Commentary-Revelation 12-22