Jesus is not " I am who I say I am."

 

                                Jesus is not " I am who I say I am."

There is a misconception that because Jesus said "I am" that makes him God like Yahweh in Exodus 3. Below I will demonstrate how that isn't correct.


Jesus said, egō eimi (“I am”) in John 8:58, the man who had been born blind identified himself by saying exactly what Jesus said; egō eimi (“I am” John 9:9).  Also, Paul and Asahel does the same as well.


John 9:8-9 English Standard Version 8 The neighbors and those who had seen him before as a beggar were saying, “Is this not the man who used to sit and beg?” 9 Some said, “It is he.” Others said, “No, but he is like him.” He kept saying, “I am the man.”


Acts 26:29 English Standard Version29 And Paul said, “Whether short or long, I would to God that not only you but also all who hear me this day might become such as I am—except for these chains.” 


2 Samuel 2:20 English Standard Version 20 Then Abner looked behind him and said, “Is it you, Asahel?” And he answered, “It is I.”


These examples don't make one God or a god.



Jesus is saying "I am he" the Messiah- the prophesied one. Different translations shows this bias.


Greek Septuagint and the Greek New Testament:


Exodus 3:14: And God said to Moses: “I am (εγω ειμι) the one who is (ο ων).” … ‘You are to tell the children of Israel this: “The one who is (ο ων) has sent me to you.’” 


John 8:58: Before Abraham was, I am (εγω ειμι, “egō eimi”).


Problem one-Jesus does not quote the full divine name. It does not read "I am who I am". That's a very crucial difference.


Problem two-Jesus quotes the wrong half of the divine name.


A careful reading shows that Yahweh uses a shorter name in Exodus 3:14. “The one who is (ο ων) has sent me to you.’


The Septuagint translators do not use “egō eimi” in Exodus 3, instead they use ο ων (“ho on”).


Jesus never uses "ο ων" to identify himself.


As a result, Jesus does not use the complete name or partial name of Yahweh.



John 8:58 can be interpreted in at least two other ways. 


Before Abraham I was the one Messiah prophesied. 


The second interpretation can be that Jesus was going to be resurrected before Father Abraham which was a very important figure to the Jews.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ezekiel 38-39 has been fulfilled in the book of Esther-Quick Reference

13 Reasons Why a Spiritual Resurrection in 70 AD Should Be Considered Over a Physical Resurrection

From Grave to Glory (G2G)-A Preterist Postmillennial Commentary-Revelation 12-22